Thursday 10 March 2016

Marco Rubio is not 'proud' of Donald Trump insults as Republicans prep for debate

Rubio not 'entirely proud' of Trump insults - but says the billionaire's business record is fair game as Republicans prepare to go at it again tonight

  • The last two debates were rough and tumble, with Rubio and Trump engaging in incredibly personal attacks 
  • 'I’m not telling you he didn’t deserve it, but that’s now who I am,' Rubio said last night at a Fox News forum
  • Trump says he doesn't expect those sort of shenanigans during tonight's match at the University of Miami in Florida
  • Total delegate count now stands at 359 for Cruz, to Trump's 458 and Rubio's 151. Kasich is now at 54
  • Trump predicts he'll win Florida, Rubio's home state, destroying the young politician's career


Marco Rubio says if he could do it all over again, he wouldn't have skewered Donald Trump with personal insults.
'It’s not something I’m entirely proud of,' Rubio said during a Wednesday evening town hall in Miami, Florida, hosted by MSNBC. 
Rubio said, 'My kids were embarrassed by it and I, you know, if I had to do it again I wouldn’t.'
The Florida senator later said at a Fox News forum, 'I’m not telling you he didn’t deserve it, but that’s now who I am.
The last GOP debate was like the Wild West of politics, with Rubio and Trump arguing over their manhood.
Trump says he doesn't expect those sort of shenanigans during tonight's match at the University of Miami. 
But Rubio also sicked on to Trump as they went over his business record and Trump University. The U.S. senator said last night those attacks were still fair game.


'I think if he runs and loses, and I don't think he would win right now...I think he will never be able to do anything very big politically in Florida,' Trump said.
He had been asked about whether he'd consider Rubio as his running mate and accordingly added, 'I certainly don;t think he would be considered by anybody as a vice president. I don't think he could ever run for governor or whatever he might want to run for in the future.'
Rubio lost all four states that voted Tuesday so badly that he won zero delegates - a stunning defeat for the U.S. senator.
Ohio Governor John Kasich didn't win a single state, either, but he came in a hard-fought third in Michigan that saw him win just as many delegates as Cruz there.
'We did very well in Michigan,' he declared the morning after.

The GOP governor said 'for the first time people are starting to hear what I have to say and this thing has moved to a more home court advantage.'
'We’re going to win in Ohio,' he said of his home state, which votes the same day as Florida, next Tuesday. 'That’s going to be a whole new ball game.'
Cruz won delegates in each state that held contests - Mississippi, Michigan, Idaho and Hawaii. He won Idaho and came in second in the other three. 
His total delegate count now stands at 359 to Trump's 458 and Rubio's 151. Kasich is now at 54.
Trump celebrated his three-state win in a round of interviews yesterday morning on the major networks.
'I was actually surprised that I did so well...the people of Mississippi, the people of Michigan, I love them because they fought through that barrage that they had to go through,' he said on New Day, referring to ads hitting him that ran in those state.
He said, 'To come up with the kind of numbers, not only just winning them but winning in a landslide, was...so incredible. It made [me] feel so good.'
Cruz has called on Kasich and Rubio to quit the race to give him a fighting chance against the Trump.
Neither wants to get out until after March 15, when their respective home states vote.

Trump predicted yesterday that he'd do well in all the upcoming contests - Illinois, Missouri and North Carolina vote that day, too - and said today, 'We have some great states coming up.
'I've always had a great relationship obviously with Florida. It's my second home. I'm there. I employ thousands of people in the state of Florida.'
As Trump argued, if he wins both Ohio and Florida, 'at that point it's pretty tough for anybody to do anything' to keep him from winning the nomination.
'I know we have a big lead in Florida. And I hear we have a pretty good lead also in polls in Ohio.' he said in the phone interview from Florida. 'Hopefully it will all work out.'
He suggested in the interview that he'd let the race take its course - but would throw punches if he has to in tonight's debate in Coral Gables, a suburb of Miami.
'I am a uniter. But I have to finish off the project,' he said. 'I can't all of a sudden stand there and let people...Marco was very, very nasty to me. I have to tell you. He was very, very nasty to me and I guess he made a mistake because I was more nasty to him.'
He warned, 'You have to finish off what you have to finish off.' 
Rubio regretfully told MSNBC's Chuck Todd last night, 'I don’t want to be that.'
'If that’s what it takes to become president of the United States, then I don’t want to be president.'

No comments:

Post a Comment

MY AD 2