Saturday 5 March 2016

Q&A: Maggie Aderin-Pocock, space scientist – ‘What would my superpower be? To travel at the speed of light’




THE GUARDIAN





Born in London, Maggie Aderin-Pocock, 47, studied physics at Imperial College and took a PhD in mechanical engineering. She worked at the Ministry of Defence before becoming a space scientist. She presents the television shows The Sky At Night for BBC4 and Stargazing for CBeebies. She is married to an engineer, has a daughter and lives in Surrey.
What is your greatest fear?
My fears are for my five-year-old – I worry about climate change.
What is your earliest memory?
The birth of my sister when I was three. I remember being devastated because they said her name was going to be Grace. I said, “What do you mean? Her name is Baby!”
What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?
Procrastination.
What is the trait you most deplore in others?
Arrogant bullying.
Aside from a property, what’s the most expensive thing you’ve ever bought?
My telescope, which is worth about £2,000. When I was a child I wanted one but couldn’t afford anything decent, so I made one.
What would your superpower be?
To travel at the speed of light. I would love to visit another galaxy.
What do you most dislike about your appearance?
I have to watch The Sky At Night twice; the first time I’m thinking, “My bottom looks big in that.”
Who would play you in the film of your life?
My daughter, because she is quite a thespian and she knows me better than most.
Advertisement
What is your most unappealing habit?
Super-untidiness.
What is your favourite word?
Opportunist.
Which book changed your life?
When I was seven I watched a television series called Heidi and then I got the book, which was so much better, and I thought, “Wow, books are really powerful.”
What did you want to be when you were growing up?
I still want to be an astronaut.
What is the worst thing anyone’s ever said to you?
At the offices of a contractor who was working for me, I went up to the reception desk. Someone gave me a key and said: “OK, you need to start cleaning the offices at the back and then work your way to the front.” There is nothing wrong with being a cleaner, but it’s the automatic assumption – you see a black woman, she’s a cleaner. I had a suit on and was carrying a briefcase!
What do you owe your parents?
When I started school, because of my dyslexia I just felt dumb. I had all these crazy dreams. My mum and dad told me I could reach for the stars and dreams can come true.           
What or who is the greatest love of your life?
My husband, Martin, and my daughter. I had my daughter quite late – for a long time I thought I wasn’t going to have any children. Kids are magical and underestimated.
What do you consider your greatest achievement?
Over the last eight years I have been privileged to see 250,000 schoolkids across the world and tell them my story – a kid with dyslexia from a broken home becoming a space scientist – and inspire them to do something they dream about.
What is the most important lesson life has taught you?
To have a go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

MY AD 2